Date: 1/6/18 10:35 am
From: <badgerboy...>
Subject: Re: "OBX": MBTA, Woodcock, frozen hummer - 1/4/18
I thought I read on this list a couple years ago about massive woodcock
movements to the coast in cold snaps. My recollection is that people had
reported large numbers of them and they thought the birds were NOT
normal locally overwintering birds but rather that the sudden cold had
pushed much higher numbers than normal into the coastal areas. Could
have been a faulty memory though--anyone else remember this?

Thanks, Guy McGrane, Deep Gap, NC

On 1/4/2018 9:58 PM, Steve Ritt (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> First, a reminder that it's unethical, not to mention even illegal
> under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, to capture and/or harass any
> raptor or any other native bird, regardless of the status of domestic
> livestock.
>
> I also had an American Woodcock as a yard bird tonight in Harbinger,
> NC. A Baltimore Oriole was just down the street. The Albermarle Sound
> was way more active than usual today, although nothing was regionally
> unusual. Most entertaining were Wilson's Snipe, Greater Yellowlegs,
> Dunlin, Killdeer, American Pipit, and Song Sparrows all foraging
> together on ice balls and a very tiny, sandy beach patch in the backyard.
>
> Has anyone else had frozen hummingbird casualties this week? One
> (RTHU) was hanging upside down on my feeder the morning of New Years
> Eve that I thought was in torpor, but it fell off two days later and
> did not wake up.
>
> Steve Ritt
> Harbinger, NC / San Diego, CA
> (...hoping my next yard bird will be a Nazca Booby tomorrow.)

Join us on Facebook!