Date: 1/6/18 4:29 am
From: Marlene A Condon via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Bird feeding question YBSS
Hi Hayes,

When it is very cold,  sap stops flowing.  If sapsuckers are still in an area, it's probably kind to help them out with suet.

Undoubtedly the reason you are seeing a sapsucker so close to the ground this year is because close to the ground is the only possibility for the bird to find sap if it is moving at all.

Sincerely,
Marlene

Marlene A Condon, Author/Photographer--The Nature-friendly Garden: Creating a Backyard Haven for Plants, Wildlife, and People (Stackpole Books)
5554 Sugar Ridge Road
Crozet, VA 22932-2204
Phone: 434--823-8150
E-mail: <marlenecondon...>