Date: 1/5/18 12:41 pm
From: CABOT WILLIAMS via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] Bird feeding question YBSS
This is the second winter we have had a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker using a very large Loblolly Pine tree. It just started this winter about a week ago. It calls frequently as it works the tree. Last winter it drilled holes from about 15 feet high to about 40 feet. Smaller birds came to them also . This year it is drilling down to about 2 feet above the ground. The placement of holes is completely random. Later in the winter when they go to the non-native hollies, they use a waffle-shaped group of 1/2 inch squares. On the crab-apple tree they make circles of holes (many of them). My opinion is they don't need us to feed them.

Hayes Williams in the middle of Gloucester County