Date: 1/3/18 7:07 pm
From: Fred Atwood <fatwood...>
Subject: Pendleton CBC summary Dec 19 2017
Dear WV Birders

Many thanks to the 10 participants (Terry Bronson, Herb and Sarah Meyers,
Chuck and Paula Waggy, Casey Rucker, Rich Bailey, David Carr, Sherry
Krigler, and Jim Waybright) who joined me in the Pendleton CBC on Tuesday
Dec 19. In addition Carolyn Ruddle, who ran this count for many years
before it was passed on to me, gathered the results from 14 feeder
watchers.
I apologize for this delayed report.

If my math is right, we tallied our highest count of 72 species, plus 5
more during count week.
New species to the count were Ring-necked Duck, Saw Whet Owl, Red
Crossbill, and an amazing 3 (possibly 4) Blue-headed vireos (Casey Rucker),
all in the east side of the count circle.

Count week birds not seen on the CBC were wild turkey, ring-billed gull
(only noted once before), savannah sparrow (only noted once before),
eastern meadowlark, and golden eagle, the latter species apparently
arriving later than usual in WV this winter.

This was the 40th year of this CBC.

New high counts were the following:
12 Green winged Teal (prev high 3, found on 2 previous counts)
2 Lesser Scaup (previously single birds found on 4 counts)
12 Hooded Merganser (prev high 4, seen 6 times before including one count
week)\
126 Black Vulture, most of which were rising from their roost near
Brandywine in the morning (prev high 124)
18 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (prev high 11)
7 Eastern Phoebe (prev high 6)
9 Hermit Thrush (prev high 8)
3352 Starling (prev high 2897)
107 Yellow-rumped Warbler (prev high 104)
10 Eastern Towhee (prev high 8)
298 American Goldfinch (prev high 252)

Other birds of note included 21 Pine Siskins in the Brandywine sector, 4
Chipping Sparrows (ties prev high, found on 5 prev counts), 4 Ruby-crowned
Kinglets (ties prev high, found on 13 prev counts), 2 Barred Owls, a
Harrier (seen on 3 prev counts), 99 Turkey Vutlures, 2 Ruddy Ducks (ties
prev high, seen only 3 other years), 3 Buffleheads (found on 5 prev
counts), 1 Redhead (seen only once before). We found surprisingly low
numbers of 95 Canada Goose (prev recent ave 216, prev high 517), 66
Cardinals (prev ave 107, prev high 159) 3 Fox Sparrow (prev ave 7, prev
high 18), and 109 House Sparrows (prev ave 115, prev high 353).

The total list is below for those who are interested.

Happy New Year to you all.
May you be blessed with lots of wonderful close views of beautiful and
interesting birds.

Fred Atwood
Cabins, Grant Co WV
Oakton, Fairfax Co, VA

95 Canada Geese
4 Black Duck
57 Mallard
175 silhouetted Mallard or Black ducks in early dawn darkness
12 Green-winged Teal
1 Redhead
2 Lesser Scaup
3 Ring-necked Duck