Date: 1/3/18 6:33 pm
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fwd: Swallows
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Date: Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: [texbirds] Swallows
To: Joe Kestner <jkestner...>

It is unusual but cave swallows would not be unusual. They winter even as
far north as just south of Houston.

What is more unusual is that you saw them during the day and not at dusk.
Often, they are not seen at all during the day and then just at dark, they
dart down under an overpass and go directly into old nests, usually cliff
swallow nests. You have a part of a minute to see the whole group before
they are in bed.

You can find them in real cold weather if they have to feed just over open
water that did not freeze. Then, they can even flycatch more like a phoebe
than a swallow. A place like just below Anzalduas dam will have them all
winter sitting on the rock to keep warm.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

--