Date: 1/3/18 1:35 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Eugene
Took the ‘road’ trail to the north from the bridge parking area of Mt. Pisgah. Birding was slow, maybe as a result of recent forest clearing of blackberry thickets. There remained enough brambles to contain many Fox Sparrows. We also had two pairs of Wrentits, but not in the usual patches where we always found them. Out of the woods, a nice group of Oregon Juncos responded to swishing. This flock was of a single plumage type - like a dress code - not of the usual mixture of types (I for one, have never encountered such a uniform flock).
26 species

Canada Goose - heard
American Wigeon - a bunch
Ring-necked Duck - 7
Double-crested Cormorant - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 3
Northern Flicker - 3
American Kestrel - 1 male clutching a vole
Steller's Jay - 3
California Scrub-Jay - 5
American Crow - singles
Common Raven - 1
Black-capped Chickadee - 8
Bewick's Wren - 1
Pacific Wren- 4
Golden-crowned Kinglet - 2 bunches
Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
Wrentit - 4
Western Bluebird - 1 heard several times
American Robin - 30
European Starling - few
Spotted Towhee - 10
Fox Sparrow - 18
Song Sparrow - 12
Lincoln's Sparrow - 7
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 20
Dark-eyed Junco - a group of maybe 30, all uniformly black-headed ‘males’

Randy Sinnott, Sarah Vasconcellos, Steven and Judy Franzen, Dennis Arendt, Jim Regali, Sylvia Maulding, John Polo, Kit Larsen, and Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!