Date: 1/2/18 9:37 pm
From: David Hamilton <napabirders...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Napa Backyard 1/1 & Bodega Bay 1/2
Happy New Year everyone!
Started off the new year with 36 species in from our backyard in Napa, the best being a FERRUGINOUS HAWK circling around being harassed by 2 crows.  The last time we had seen one was on January 1 (!) in 2015.  Species #37 was a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS hooting close by at 4:30 am today, 1/2.  The new year is off to a good start!
1/2:  Headed over to Bodega Bay today.  Could not believe the tides!  The water was up in the parking lot at Porto Bodega around 10 am and by 4 pm, it is like someone pulled the plug and the tide was way out with more land showing then we've ever seen before!
Highlights included:  ROCK SANDPIPER, out at the Head, on the rock right below the head (the only one, other than the huge rock with cormorants, that wasn't getting covered when the waves came in.  It was with a flock of SURFBIRDS & BLACK TURNSTONES.
Once the tide went out the birds appeared in mass - MARBLED GODWITS, WILLETS, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, SANDERLINGS, BRANT, GULLS - a LOT of MEW GULLS!, COMMON & 1 PACIFIC LOON, RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS and more.
We walked through Bodega Bay Campground, where the willows were FULL of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS.  A small mixed flock included CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES, RUBY & GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, AND JUNCOS.
Below Diekmann's Store the Albution flowers were just beautiful & being enjoyed by ANNA'S HUMMERS, ORANGE-CROWNED & TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS, a COMMON YELLOWTHROAT & more.
Finished the day with 82 species.
Happy birding!Denise & David HamiltonNapa

Join us on Facebook!