Date: 1/2/18 2:18 pm
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: Re: [ia-bird] Let's use words gooder this year (no siting)
Birders,

I was given the gracious option as an "Admin" with the Facebook "Iowa
Birding" group. One of my rolls is to admit new members. Facebook has
added an option for people to answer a basic question, which is a way to
keep spammers out. The question is, "What is your favorite bird?". While
some just list their favorite bird, many take the question seriously and
are passionate about their answers. I read every answer and if there is
one thing I can tell you it is this, the vast majority of people either
indicate they are new to birding or you can tell they are new because of
how they spell things. I'd say nearly 99.5% of answers have misspellings
of common bird names.

While I see some merit in Bill's email to the IOU Listerv, I also
acknowledge that Paul is correct in that we need to be sensitive of the
next "generation" of birders. Iowa Birding is closing in on 3,000 members
and many of them will get exposure to the IOU through the group. We have
tried to redirect the usage of bird nomenclature, but it seems that we have
let it go for good reasons. If I recall correctly, we once had a woman get
extremely angry over the correction of "American Bald Eagle" to simply,
"Bald Eagle". Those who eventually choose to take their birding passion to
the next step will eventually see there are proper bird names and
spellings. Lets not lose potential people to our community because they
say, "Gold finch" or "Canadian Geese".

Good birding,
Brandon