Date: 1/1/18 9:18 pm
From: Dave Tracy <davidctracy...>
Subject: [COBOL] Bend CBC Hermit Thrush
We unofficially participated in yesterday's Bend CBC, only getting out for a couple hours after lunch. Julia, Opal and I walked from the Colorado St. Bridge upstream along the west bank of the Deschutes for a few miles looking and listening for Canyon Wren without success. We did have a nice Hermit Thrush at the millpond marsh that gave us all good views.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Dave

--------------------------------
The 50th annual Bend Christmas Bird Count was held in unseasonably warm weather on Saturday. While last year's count featured over a foot and a half of snow and temperatures in the 20s, this year there was no snow on the ground, open water and temps in the upper 40s.

Pending results from feeder counters, we ended up with 94 species, 5th highest ever. The best birds were the Emperor Goose (1st record), which has been around for the past month, Common Redpoll, (2nd record) found on count day, Purple Finch (3rd record), and Harris's Sparrow (7th record), also around for a month. The biggest misses were Hermit Thrush (seen every day before and after the count), Canvasback, Wood Duck and Barred Owl (all seen count week).

High counts were recorded for Common Merganser - 96 (previous high 76); Bald Eagle -- 23 (19, set last year); Red-tailed Hawk -- 107 (106); Cooper's Hawk -- 12 (11); American Kestrel -- 34 (30); Red-breasted Nuthatch -- 134 (71!) and Lesser Goldfinch -- 170 (131). Species with low number totals were Pinyon Jay (2), American Crow (3) and Western Bluebird (35).

Interesting trend department -- the following are species that are now established along with the first year it was recorded and the number of individuals seen this year:

Eurasian Collared-Dove (2007) -- 601 this year

Anna's Hummingbird (1991) -- 1 this year; not quite annual on CBC, usually a few overwinter every year.

California Scrub-Jay (1991) -- 443 this year. Steller's Jays numbers have remained steady since Scrub-Jays have

been established

Lesser Goldfinch (1999) -- 170 this year

Tom Crabtree, Bend

David Tracy
Tratech Fiberoptics, Inc.
<dave...>