Date: 1/1/18 7:36 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [birding] farmland transition
Hi Roger & All,

This may be a BOO topic as I'm told that discussion of bird habitat
don't belong on OBOL. So I've taken the precaution of cross-posting to
BOO.

As much as birders have grumbled about grass-seed monocultures over the
past decade, that era is on its way out, in favor of filbert orchards
and other long-term perennial crops as you note. I'm eschewing the
marketing name "hazelnut" in favor of "filbert," to respect the
preferences of Preston Filbert (local birder and prairie restoration
volunteer, before he moved back to Iowa).

Crazy that Meadowlarks could almost be missed on the Airlie-Albany CBC,
or at Silverton. I only saw one Northern Harrier all day on Sunday's
count.

We're losing our grassland birds.

Joel

Joel Geier