Date: 1/1/18 6:35 pm
From: Brian walsh <mrbrianwalsh2...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Happy New Year—Sinaloa Wren at Santa Gertrudis
Hello

1/1 Santa Gertrudis

I was lucky enough to see Bill on his way out. Nice find Bill.
I spent 4 hours in the area and was unsuccessful with the Wren and the Robins.

The company was good thanks to Melanie, Barb and the others birders.

Please remember there is NO parking on the lane.

Brian Walsh
Tucson

To: "<aznmbirds...>" <aznmbirds...>
Date: Monday, January 1, 2018, 1:28 PM

Like a dozen or so other
birders, I decided to try and get a Rufous-backed Robin for
the year list at Santa Gertrudis late this morning. Several
had been seen earlier in the day across from #12, as they
have for many weeks but none were visible when I went
by. I went south on the de Anza trail until just
past where it begins to parallel the river when I noticed a
Wren on the east edge of the trail poking in the leaves. The
bright white eyeline, striped cheeks and dark barring under
the reddish tail led to the ID as a Sinaloa Wren. We
photo’d and watched the Wren with other birders that came
along as it moved in the leaves in a generally north
direction, until we lost sight of it. Further
south about 300 yards, along the west side of the trail we
saw 4 Rufous-backed Robins, up high, eating a mix of privet
and hackberries. On the way back, the Wren was back in the
original spot, and this time we heard the distinctive
ratchet call.
A lingering Western Tanager was seen by others
along the lane.
Complete list and photos in Ebird later....a nice
way to start the year.
Bill LisowskyTubac, AZ

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----