Date: 1/1/18 1:35 pm
From: Steve Compton <scompton1251...>
Subject: Re: Black Vultures and Table Scraps
Folks,
Black Vultures frequented the City Market on Market Street when
produce and meat were sold there. They were such a familiar sight they
were known as "Charleston Eagles".
Steve ComptonGreenville,SCFormer licensed City of Charleston Tour
Guide
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE DroidOn 1 Jan 2018 2:50 pm, John Fussell
<jfuss...> wrote:

See Birds of North America, by T.G. Pearson et al, 1917, for a
photo of Black Vultures scavenging the streets of Charleston.Further,
under the species account, it states: "To the visitor for the
first time in the South the appearance of that dusky scavenger the
Black Vulture, calmly walking around in the streets as
domesticated and unafraid as the English Sparrow of northern
cities, strikes him as a bit odd."John FussellMorehead City, NC

----- Original Message ----- From: Steve CoxTo: Carolina BirdsSent:
Monday, January 01, 2018 10:04 AMSubject: Black Vultures and
Table Scraps

Hi and happy new year to all:

For the past two days, I have experienced something that is
new to me. Â A few days ago, I threw out in my back yard some
table scrapes, particularly a turkey carcass. Usually a
raccoon, possum or dog will find any scraps and consume them.

Yesterday and today, I had a mixed flock of black and turkey
vultures visit. The black vultures were pigging out on the
carcass. The turkey vultures were not paying it any attention.

Has anyone else experienced black vultures eating table
scraps?

Steve Cox

Fountain Inn, SC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10