Date: 1/1/18 11:16 am
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] The Lynn County Photographic Game - Final Report
Greetings All:
In compliance with Drew Harvey's request that I focus on a county lacking
herp records, I am going to be working Lynn County (the county just to the
south of Lubbock County) for critters and photographs of critters in 2017.

Lynn County is somewhat similar to Hockley County - lots of cropland,
almost no public land - but is different in one critical regard: there is
no publicly accessible permanent water. This doesn't mean that Lynn County
is dry, necessarily, but it does mean that my success with water-loving
species, from spadefoots to sandpipers, is going to be very dependent on
seasonal rainfall.

Stated numerical goals are, because of this, borderline hallucinatory.

That said, I stuck with goals of 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of
amphibian, 10 species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of
mammal seen in Lynn County during 2017. As in 2016, I will also have the
goal of photographing at least 90% of the species seen.

Christmas Bird Counts ate up a lot of my time and I only managed 1.5 visits
to Lynn County, noting 3 species of butterfly, 0 species of amphibian, 0
species of reptile, 93 species of bird, and 4 species of mammal during
July, bringing me up to 55 species of butterfly, 10 species of amphibian,
14 species of reptile, 218 species of bird, and 14 species of mammal -
moving the respective percentages up to 110%, 200%, 140%, 109%, and 140% -
for the year.. Of the 311 species seen so far, I have acquired
identifiable photographs of 282 - making for a 90.6752% success rate - I
met all my goals this year, though, as always - thanks to nocturnals and
skittish migrants - making the photographic goal was difficult.

And on with the list (* = new to the list, y = photographed) - arranged, I
think, in the new AOU order.

Sleepy Orange
Red Admiral
Painted Lady