Date: 12/31/17 6:19 pm
From: Lisa Ruby <lruby1...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Harris's Hawk provenance
Here are photos of the Harris's Hawk I was able to get this afternoon.
I'm not sure about wear on the tail feathers, but the bird has damage to
multiple primary flight feathers. No bands on its legs that I can see in
my photos.

https://tinyurl.com/y8ebmsmu

Ter Hurst and I saw it off Montecito Way when we first got there around
2:30. It was in the air and being harassed by Crows. It flew a bit east.
Eventually, after we waited awhile on Montecito Way, I walked down El
Paso and found it in a large bare tree. Along with two other birders we
approached slowly. When we got too close, despite the fact that the hawk
had a lot of distance from us by how high up it was in the tree, it took
off and flew to another tree in someone's backyard. It was still visible
from El Paso and also from Montecito Way. Not sure how far we were from
the tree on El Paso when it flew.

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

On 12/31/2017 5:32 PM, Susan Smith <seiurus...>
[SanDiegoRegionBirding] wrote:

> Of the 29 San Diego County records of Harris' Hawk (geez, why HASH and
> not HAHA, I wonder???I would like to make it HAHA), 22 have been
> accepted by the California Birds Records Committee. But always good to
> keep the question open.  (Four of those records were classified as
> 'Natural Occurrence Questionable'). Thankfully we have the CBRC to
> make the ultimate decision about these issues after thoughtful
> consideration.  Nancy, did you submit your 2012 sighting tho the
> CBRC?  It is not recorded there.  I recall two adults in Santee in
> winter of 1995, and this occurrence was accepted by the committee.  As
> I mull this stuff over I am once again reminded of how lucky we are
> here in San Diego County to have foundation resources like Phil
> Unitt's San Diego County Bird Atlas and the California Bird Records
> Committee website to  go to when these questions arise.    It should
> be interesting to see how this develops. I know Harris's are a popular
> falconry bird, but then there is this history of multiple birds
> appearing naturally here in the county, but it is ultimately the CBRC
> after reviewing the submitted documentation, to make the decision.. so
> hoping you are writing this all up and submitting lots of pics...   sue
>
> Susan Smith
> Seiurus Biological  Consulting
> Del Mar, CA

Join us on Facebook!