Date: 12/31/17 8:44 am
From: Harris, Dawn <dawn_harris...>
Subject: [obol] Preliminary results from the Yaquina Bay CBC in Newport
Our volunteers were also thankful for the warm sunny weather on December
30th as we held the 45th Yaquina Bay CBC. A record of 45 field observers
helped scour the forests, estuaries, beaches and ocean for birds and the
total count at the end of yesterday was 146 species. There are two field
parties and many feeder counters who have yet to report so that figure may
creep up a bit. A very big thanks to all of the volunteers and especially
to the team leaders Range Bayer, Steve Holzman, Ram Papish, Brian Fowler
and Janet Lamberson.

Oscar reported last evening about some of the excellent finds his team
discovered including WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL which was a first for our
count, 19 SNOWY PLOVERS and LAPLAND LONGSPUR among others. Phil Pickering
conducted a Sea Watch and had a BOOBY (probably Brown) and a SABINE'S GULL.
It was also outstanding for owls and we had BARN OWL, GREAT HORNED OWL,
BARRED OWL, WESTERN SCREECH-OWL, NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL, AND NORTHERN PYGMY
OWL. The lower bay team found BARROW'S GOLDENEYE, AMERICAN KESTREL AND
CLARK'S GREBE. Stay tuned for more updates and highlights as the data comes
in and thanks again to all who came out to help!!

*Dawn Harris*

Join us on Facebook!