Date: 12/30/17 11:17 pm
From: William <wrboyington...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Ocean Shores today (Saturday) Possible mystery duck.
Tweeters.

I hadn’t seen White-winged Crossbills in a few years, so a trip to Ocean Shores today was in order, and other birders put me on a mixed flock of White-winged and Red Crossbills, numbering around 50 or so, about 2 blocks from the Interpretive Center. And in late morning, a visit to the Brown’s Point jetty, during a high tide and crashing surf over it, was successful in finding a single Rock Sandpiper with nine Black Turnstones high up on top of the jetty and close in, until human climbers, working their way down the jetty, prompted them to fly off.

But my reason for posting was a bird I spotted out in the bay after walking into the game range from the Damon Point side. I don’t want to raise a false alarm, as I viewed it with the sun behind, but It appeared to be a large, dark duck, by itself, and it looked to me to have the head and bill profile of an Eider. Anyone going out that way might look for it, though, at this point, it wouldn’t be a reason of itself to make a trip. I don’t feel it was a scoter, and I’ve never seen a Canvasback in the ocean, so I don’t know what else might have a head with projecting bill like that.

Good birding,

Bill Boyington
Tweeters mailing list
<Tweeters...>