Date: 12/30/17 7:38 pm
Subject: Re: eBird glitch -- high counts not showing on eBird
It's pretty simple, really. Each record submitted to eBird is automatically compared to a "filter" which species a cutoff number of individuals for each species for each day of the year. This number may be 0, or it may be greater than 0. If your record exceeds the cutoff number, it will be flagged for human review. Records for which the filter cutoff is 0 are considered "rare" and show up on the report on the CBC website. No records flagged for review show up in public reports on eBird until a human reviewer has validated them.

Filters are set low for species that really are rare, but sometimes they are set low for other reasons, such as for species that are often misidentified.

Kent Fiala

On 12/30/2017 10:17 PM, Harry LeGrand (via carolinabirds Mailing List) wrote:
> Thanks for the input, as well as input from three others.
>
> So, there are TWO levels of review, instead of one. The*first* gets the rare birds or high counts to show on the Hotspot listing (it took about 8 hours for that to happen with the Canvasbacks and Hooded Mergansers, but they are there now), as well as a rare bird to show up on the CBC listing -- such as the Harlequin Duck at Jennette's Pier. .  The*second* is the one that approves or rejects a sighting. For example, the reported Yellow-throated Vireo in SC, almost certainly incorrect, has passed the first level of review to get it onto the CBC listing. The second level will certainly not accept this without a photo or lengthy written material.
>
> Some people may now tell me that the first is not a review, but just an automated delay in eBird in getting the data from your eBird report onto the Hotspot listing.  But, I had three people tell me that before a bird that is a write-in or needs details for a high count can show up on the Hotspot listing, it had to pass a review.
>
> I believe that making sausage is easier to understand than the eBird review process.
>
> Harry LeGrand
>
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 9:50 PM, Lucas Bobay <lucasrbobay...> <mailto:<lucasrbobay...>> wrote:
>
> In eBird, if a species isn’t flagged as “rare” but you still trigger a filter for a high count, it will not show up on the ebird map or on the hotspot list until confirmed. It also won’t show up in the rare bird alert, because it is not a rare bird. As for the Least Sandpipers, they are flagged at 0 in Winter in that part of the coastal plain, so they will show up as “rare birds”. This is because they really only occur at few sites inland in winter. Hopefully this clears up some confusion.
>
> Lucas Bobay
> currently at the Lihue airport, Hawaii
>
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 4:45 PM Eddie Owens <carolinabirds...> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
>
> That does seem to be a glitch. However, my ebird list from this morning does show the 14 Canvasbacks (including photos) & my list from yesterday shows 320 HOMEs, for what it's worth.
>
> Eddie Owens
> Cary nc
>

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 8:18 PM Harry LeGrand <carolinabirds...> <mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
>
> For some reason, eBird will not show my counts of 300 Hooded Mergansers and 14 Canvasbacks from the Lake Crabtree Dam, this morning.  It told me these were high counts and I needed to provide some details, which I did and checked the box. The totals of my 23 species DO show on my eBird list when you go to eBird, go to Lake Crabtree Dam, and then click on the 30 Dec 2017 date (in blue). That takes you to my list of 23 species, but the list on the screen for Lake Crabtree Dam shows that I had only 21 species today, and missing are Hooded Merganser and Canvasback!!!!!  This is an error.

> [...]

Join us on Facebook!