Date: 12/28/17 3:48 pm
From: Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
Subject: [COBOL] Deschutes Emperor Goose Origin
Hi all,

I saw the EMPEROR GOOSE at Scholes road today. It was a lifer! It’s
cooperative, and it let me get good photos.

I have been thinking, though: is it necessarily a wild bird? It has been
hanging around farmland and near an urban mall, and Emperor Goose is
frequent domestic bird. Could it be domestic? I checked the wingtips for
signs of clipping, but didn’t see any. No apparent leg bands or scars from
bands, either. Does anyone have a photo of the bird with its wings spread,
though, as that would better show whether it had its wings clipped? That
would be good to check.

Are there any other signs of domesticity to check for? Any other thoughts?

Some other highlights from the day include:

An extremely cooperative AMERICAN DIPPER along the Deschutes River Trail.
It came to within ten feet of me and let me get great pics.

At least two male COMMON GOLDENEYES along the river.

A few MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES and some CALIFORNIA SCRUB JAYS (not sure of these
are unusual because I don’t bird Central OR much).

An interesting call that was somewhere between a Pine siskin and a Redpoll.
Frustrating.

(Oh, and sorry, Deschutes County, to attack your prized new bird ;-) )