Date: 12/27/17 5:37 pm
From: Phil Kelley <scrubjay323...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 12/27/17
Tweets,

Today 40 of us braved the cold and enjoyed a good walk at Nisqually.
It was cold and most of the ponds were frozen but we had a 14.4 high
tide at 12:03 so we had lots of water outside the dikes.

Highlights included 2 NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWLS and 40ish BALD EAGLES.

The SAW-WHET OWLS were in the woods across from the visitor center.
One continues in the small cedar tree to the left of the flag pole and
the other was seen in the woods from the maintenance road behind that
tree line.

The BALD EAGLES were all over the refuge with a large concentration
being along the Nisqually River. There were also HARBOR SEALS and a
CALIFORNIA SEA LION in the Nisqually River chasing salmon.

Waterfowl were scare because of the iced over ponds but there were the
usual suspects out in the reclamation area as well as 2
AMERICAN/EURASIAN WIGEON hybrids at the start of the estuary
boardwalk.

For the day I had 45 species and wound up with 140 species for the year.

Mammals seen included EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL, MUSKRAT, BLACK-TAILED
DEER, HARBOR SEAL, and CALIFORNIA SEA LION.

Happy New Year, and see you next year.

Phil Kelley
<scrubjay323...>
Lacey, WA