Date: 12/26/17 2:27 pm
From: Heidi Sandkuhle <mrskuhle...>
Subject: Re: [MBBIRDS] Lousiana Waterthrush at Pfeiffer Big Sur SP, Monterey Co.
Pat Mahoney (from Hayward), Richard and I had better luck today finding the
LOUSIANA WATERTHRUSH in Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park.
As we stood on the pedestrian bridge just past the Day Parking Lot #1 in
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park ($10 entry fee), Pat noticed movement down at
the water. I called Dipper, but after locating the bird in my binoculars it
was the waterthrush! We had plenty of time to enjoy this bird before it
bathed in the river, then flew off to the side. We did not spot it again.
Richard and I had first searched below the ped. bridge that is nearest to
the Big Sur Lodge, even walking down the Buzzard Roost trail until it
started to leave the water's edge and head uphill. We then went back to the
Nature Center/Ranger cottage--both closed--to search up stream a bit. We
ran into Pat, and she suggested that 3 sets of eyes were better odds, and we
then kept looking until we spotted it from the bridge.
Beautiful bird, and it didn't seem to mind all the people in the picnic area
and on the trails.
Hope it sticks around so that all can see it.
Richard and I started out from Watsonville about 8:30 this morning and saw
the bird about 11:30-noon.
Good luck,
Heidi Sandkuhle
Corralitos