Date: 12/26/17 9:38 am
From: Jay Miller <arizonajay23...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Why are Gilded Flickers decreasing?
My observation with this species is naturally they forage mostly on the ground for ants, and grubs (and other insects I presume). On my back lawn I have seen them and Northern Flickers digging for grubs. They act as if they can hear them just below the surface. I have not seen them much this year and my guess is it's been very dry and the grubs have gone deep, and the soil is hard. I have done some irrigation and believe I had a Northern come in right after that.

So maybe because it's so dry they are having to forage differently and away from a lot of their normal range.

Jay Miller