Date: 12/26/17 9:30 am
From: Brian Jones <ravenwolf121...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Why are Gilded Flickers decreasing?
There are both Gilded and Northern Flickers in my area near the El Rio Open
Space/Coachline Gravel Pit in Marana, but Gilded Flickers are more common
at my house (specifically on my peanut feeder (not peanut suet)). I think I
recall seeing one drinking from my hummingbird feeder once, but usually
it's GIla Woodpeckers and an occasional Gilded Flicker doing that. Tying
into the rocky area comments of others, my house is right at the break
between a very rocky portion of the Tucson Mountains to the west and the
unrocky Santa Cruz floodplain to the east and interestingly, I see Northern
Flickers more to the east in the floodplain areas, and Gilded Flickers more
to the west in the rocky mountainous areas.

The peanut feeder I have that attracts the Gilded Flickers is a metal mesh
tube without perches that we put shelled peanuts in. We sometimes put out
peanuts in the shell in a dome feeder, and flickers will occasionally pull
from there too, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Gilded pull a peanut
out of the dome feeder.

For the birds!

Brian Jones
Tucson, AZ
--------
I shall pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can
do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let
me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again.