Date: 12/23/17 7:43 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Apparent Brown-crested Flycatcher east Bernal Hill 12/23/17
Thanks, Michael.

A few additional photos here, excuse the lower quality as these are just iPhone through binocular shots but maybe helpful in establishing ID. I also think I may have heard the bird give at least one call, similar to the chup of a hermit/Swainson's Thrush.

The bird appeared to feed actively around the garden when in view on pokeberry (at the top of the garden at Franconia street) as well as on bees (there's a hive in the garden)

Good luck to anyone looking for it tomorrow.

There was also a bright Nashville Warbler in the garden, which can be accessed at the 300 block of Franconia Street.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 23, 2017, at 19:19, Michael Park <dpbot...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Dear SF Birders,
>
> I am going out on a limb, and identifying the Myiarchus found by Dominic
> Mosur as a Brown-crested Flycatcher.
>
> My experience is limited to a few sightings in Southern California at
> known locations with nesting birds. So, I might be missing something
> obvious to someone with more experience. Commentary is requested.
>
> It did not vocalize in the short time that I was able to view the bird.
> The underside was pale yellow, possibly not as pale as expected for
> Ash-throated Flycatcher or as strongly colored as a Great-crested
> Flycatcher.
>
> ---------------
>
> I was struck by the massive length and thickness of the bill unlike
> Ash-throated Flycatcher.
>
> The edging on the tertials is linear, dinghy and not white bold and like
> a Great-crested Flycatcher.
>
> The tertials and coverts are dark brown -- not black like a
> Great-crested Flycatcher.
>
> It's not apparent in the photos, but this was a large Myiarchus. I think
> we can eliminate Dusky-capped Flycatcher.
>
> RECOMMENDED:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/74757345@N02/38375597455/in/photostream/
>
> BACK AND TAIL:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/74757345@N02/38544018184/in/photostream/