Date: 12/23/17 1:53 pm
From: Kenneth J. Brock <kj.brock...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront (23-Dec-17) 5 Snowy Owls (thou 1 was in IL) and 5 Harlequin Ducks
Today (23-Dec-2017) John Cassady, Kimberly Ehn, Randy Pals, Lynn Vernon, and I birded the Indiana lakefront from Michigan City Harbor to the Illinois state line.

We had hoped for good gulls, but larids were exceedingly scarce. Our best birds were the five Whiting Park Harleys (male is becoming quite handsome) and five Snowy Owls, one of which was just over the state line in Illinois. It was quite a day.

—MICHIGAN CITY HARBOR
Red-breasted Merganser,6
Ring-billed Gull,90
Herring Gull,5
Great Black-backed Gull,1 first-cycle

—REYNOLDS CREEK G.H.A.
Northern Harrier,3- 3 juvs & an adult fem
Red-tailed Hawk,2
Snowy Owl,1 IMF
Pileated Woodpecker,1
American Kestrel,1
American Crow,3
Red-winged Blackbird,50
Eastern Meadowlark,8 flock

—CENTRAL BEVERLY SHORES (along Beverly Drive)
Red-tailed Hawk,1
American Tree Sparrow,12

—PORT OF INDIANA
Redhead,35
Greater Scaup,12
Lesser Scaup,20
Black Scoter,1
Bufflehead,10
Red-breasted Merganser,5
American Coot,10
Great Black-backed Gull,1 adult
Snowy Owl,1- quite white, markings only on back

—GARY SEWAGE POND (from I-90) Common Merganser,4

—ROXANA POND (from I-90) Pied-billed Grebe,1

—HAMMOND Red-tailed Hawk,2

—WHITING REFINERY BEACH (water covered beach)
Common Goldeneye,6
Red-breasted Merganser,3
Snowy Owl,1- perched on NW corner of BP landfill- a pale bird

—WHITING PARK
Harlequin Duck,5- flock on east end of park. same birds found by Adam & Sarah Wilson on 9 December, male’s molt is progressing nicely (wait for John’s photos).

—WOLF LAKE
Northern Shoveler,3
Common Goldeneye,2
Red-breasted Merganser,18
Great Blue Heron,1

—CALUMET PARK IL, LOOKING INTO INDIANA WATERS
Redhead,25
Greater Scaup,285
Lesser Scaup,25
Horned Grebe,2
Snowy Owl,2- one on distant breakwater (in Indiana) the other on breakwall north of Calumet Park (in Illinois by 100 feet)

—JEORSE PARK Common Goldeneye,2

—OGDEN DUNES
Common Goldeneye,30
Red-breasted Merganser,15