Date: 12/23/17 1:21 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Short Visit To NE Lake County Saturday 12-23-17
Hello Bird People,

Only had time for about 2 hours of birding today & now not much time
for reporting so I'll be brief by just doing highlights. Bob E was
with at all locations, Jeff B was with at 2 spots & Bob H was arriving
at Waukegan as we were leaving.

Waukegan Beach & Lake

Highlights were several LONG TAILED DUCKS in the lake north of the
fishing pier & one nice
SNOWY OWL where they knocked down those buildings earlier this year.

Illinois Beach South Unit From The Park Office Deck

Ducks in the lake included Greater Scaup (4), LONG TAILED DUCK (2),
Goldeneye (2) &
Red Breasted Mergs (2). A Cooper's Hawk was in a roadside tree on the way out.

Illinois Beach North Unit

Nothing at Sand Pond except about 350 Canada Geese & a Red Tailed Hawk flew by.
A NORTHERN SHRIKE was seen along the road by Bob E but I missed it.

North Point Marina From Both North & South Sides

Ducks in the harbor were Redhead (4), Greater Scaup (3), Bufflehead
(7-8), Goldeneye (1-M),
Common Mergs (2-M) & Red Breasted Mergs (4). Also saw 1 Coot. No
Gulls in the harbor (again) but about 75 were in the lake. Land birds
were Junco's (4) & much better SNOW BUNTING (6) on the ground just
south of the fisherman's pier. And again Bob E saw a Shrike & again I
did not!

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Waukegan Snowy Owl &
Runners-Up to the Snow Buntings & Long Tailed Ducks & (for Bob) the
Shrike or Shrikes.

Al Stokie

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: