Date: 12/23/17 1:06 pm
From: Warblers Warbler Woods Bird Sanctuary <warblerwoods...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Recent (non-chaseable) Burnet County Red Crossbill & other good holiday stuff in central Texas
Exciting news Byron—sadly, I haven’t been in the best warbler habitat here, so I don’t know what is out there and few visitors are going there too! Wish I had more time and energy
We have had hawk problems the last 3 days and the birds aren’t coming out as much—Golden-Crowned Sparrow was only seen by Dawn today as of noon. Hopefully, the hawks will leave things alone afterwards. It is such fun to have exciting birds and birders visiting!

Susan Schaezler
WarblerWoods.org, http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L213585?yr=cur
501(c)(3) Cibolo/Schertz/Guadalupe County
Life member TOS, SAAS, TAS

> On Dec 23, 2017, at 2:32 PM, (Redacted sender "drbirdie" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:
>
> Season's Greetings Texbirders,
> About 3 weeks ago, I received a credible report of a female Red Crossbill observed on private property in Burnet County.
> I made a trip to that location a week later, but did not see any crossbills.
> Then on Monday December 18, I got word from the landowner that a window strike had been witnessed and that unfortunately the victim was a female-type Red Crossbill. The specimen has been tagged and put in a freezer for later transfer to the Texas Cooperative Collection, but I thought I would let folks know that at least one Red Crossbill has been observed recently on the eastern Edwards Plateau during this irruption year for crossbills.
>
> I got word today from my friend Christian Walker that he observed a Chestnut-sided Warbler in Llano City Park in Llano, Tx.
>

> Randy Pinkston and I made a brief trip this morning to the Peninsula Trail on the south side of Town Lake in Austin to see the continuing young male Cape May Warbler that is hanging out in a large cypress tree on the east side of that trail about 2/3 of the way from the trailhead to the tip of the peninsula. We searched for the male Townsend's Warbler and the juvenile Chestnut-sided Warbler that have also been in that vicinity. We did not see the latter two birds but both were seen by other observers this morning. The CSWA seems to hang out in live oaks near the start of the trail. The TOWA seems to range widely up and down the peninsula - I saw it yesterday morning in the same tree with the Cape May.
>

> Only a bit further afield, at Warbler Woods in Guadalupe County just an hour south of Austin, a Golden-crowned Sparrow continues near the feeding station at the Old Barn. This may be one of the few places in the country where you can reliably see and photograph four Zonotrichia Sparrows in a single location. If you visit down there, be generous with the donation box and support the great work that Don and Susan do for birds and birders at Warbler Woods.
>

> It's a great season for birds and birders.
> Great gifts sometimes come in small packages.
>

> Happy holidays and good birding ya'll,
> Byron "Doc" Stone, Austin, Tx

> from the List Owner

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds