Date: 12/20/17 9:54 am
From: 'darrell shambaugh' <d.shambaugh...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: IBET That goose in McLean County
Well stated. My education is in biology and I worked in the technical/ quality/ food safety/ microbiology end of the meat industry for 30 years, and those experiences influence everything I do. I look at birding from a “scientific” view. Although I would love to add it to my state list I can see the reasons for not adding the Barnacle Goose to the IORC accepted list. I saw it Monday afternoon and it would be a nice addition to my state list and, as well as my 145th McLean County bird, but if the evidence isn’t there, so be it. It’s still a cool bird, unusual in Illinois, and much more interesting than Canada Geese. The only other Barnacle Goose I’ve seen was the November 2005 bird in the borrow pit at I-39 and Route 71 in LaSalle County. Although I keep lists for everywhere I bird and update them almost every time I go birding, the lists are secondary to actually observing birds and seeing various habitats and areas.

Darrell Shambaugh

Somonauk, DeKalb County