Date: 12/6/17 1:50 pm
From: Gina Nichol via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] 12/6/17 -- Branford, Lake Saltonstall - RED-NECKED GREBE & Owls
I haven't been able to get into Lake Saltonstall for a few months as there has
been a timber harvest going on since September and access to the upper areas has
been restricted. Today, I finally got in and it was disheartening to see how
many trees have been taken out, especially the large oaks that were such magnets
for spring warblers. The woods were quiet except for a couple of Barred Owls
talking to each other and a Great Horned Owl calling. The Hooded Mergansers
were looking great and there was a Red-necked Grebe at the north end of the
lake. I wonder if it's the one that spent most of the winter there last year?
Ebird list below.

Gina Nichol
Branford, CT

Lake Saltonstall, New Haven, Connecticut, US
Dec 6, 2017 3:20 PM - 4:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.2 mile(s)
Comments: Walking the white trail from the parking lot at 400 Hosley Avenue
to the lake and back. A Regional Water Authority permit is required to access
this property.
Info at https://www.rwater.com/recreation

Hooded Merganser 35
Red-necked Grebe 1
Great Horned Owl 1
Barred Owl 2
Hairy Woodpecker 1
American Crow 11
Tufted Titmouse 2
Carolina Wren 1
American Robin 1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40946695

Gina Beebe Nichol
Sunrise Birding LLC
Worldwide Bird Watching Tours & Wildlife Safaris
PO Box 274, Cos Cob, CT 06807
<gina...>
www.sunrisebirding.com
USA 203.453.6724