Date: 12/6/17 6:50 am
From: LEWIS POND <breaker57...>
Subject: Re: Short-eared Owls
bill d:

During the winter - yes - you see reports from eastern and western OK. The rest of the year - not many reported. They like grasslands - best seen at dawn and dusk. So if you have a big open expanse of prairie, then you might find one. The "ears" aren't really ears of course - just tufts of feathers.

> On December 6, 2017 at 1:57 AM bill <billd...> wrote:
>
> I've never seen one of these. Do they occur in western Ok? Any tips on finding one, habitat, etc? Thanks
>
> bill d
> enid garfield ok
>

> Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 at 8:20 PM
> From: "Mary Peterson" <m_mpeterson...>
> To: <OKBIRDS...>
> Subject: [OKBIRDS] Short-eared Owls
>
> Hello All,
> Today, at about 5 pm, I went east of Bartlesville on Tuxedo to the dirt road a mile east of Bison Road. I then went about 1/2 mile south and started looking. There were at least 4 short-eared owls flying around. There were also at least 2 Le Conte's sparrows, 2 sedge wrens, a northern harrier and a loggerhead shrike present in the area.
>
> Mark Peterson
> Bartlesville

Join us on Facebook!