Date: 11/25/17 6:30 pm
From: greentailedtowhee . <skua33...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] San Carlos Reservation (Permit required)
Hi folks,

I birded the Ash Flat Grassland along BI-8. I was able to get my permit at
the Circle K in Globe, AZ at 2 am (open all night)

The highlight was a Light Morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK and 4 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS
all in the same region of the grasslands two tenths of a mile before the
area closed for hunting. you can drive through the "closed area" just
don't stop. There were a bus-load of Horned Larks with CHESTNUT-COLLARED
LONGSPURS mixed in. They were going to a water tank just off the road.
This was in the "closed area" so I didn't stop, but would have liked to.

Off to San Carlos Lake. I crossed the dam and a bit down the road there is
a pull off overlooking the lake below where there is a 4 fingered spit of
land sticking out into the lake. Great for gulls. But just off the middle
finger was a WHITE-WINGED SCOTER.

Down the county-line road to the water's edge was the best Gull action I
had so far. RING-BILLED, CALIFORNIA, likely HERRING, 2 BONAPARTE'S GULL,
and one FRANKLIN'S GULL. Going back tomorrow to try to turn it into a
laughing.

And it is so quiet out there!
Janine McCabe