Date: 11/20/17 4:58 am
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (19 Nov 2017) 4 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 19, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 24 324
Osprey 0 0 219
Bald Eagle 0 22 163
Northern Harrier 0 10 82
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 53 1179
Cooper's Hawk 0 11 142
Northern Goshawk 0 3 17
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 121 180
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 8744
Red-tailed Hawk 4 212 326
Rough-legged Hawk 0 1 2
Golden Eagle 0 5 7
American Kestrel 0 0 166
Merlin 0 3 106
Peregrine Falcon 0 3 64
Unknown Accipiter 0 1 6
Unknown Buteo 0 2 6
Unknown Falcon 0 0 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 1
Unknown Raptor 0 9 50

Total: 4 480 11788

Observation start time: 10:45:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 4.25 hours

Official Counter: Katrina Fenton

Observers: Levi Burford, Wayne Byrnes

Visitors:
26

Weather:
The wind was coming straight off of Monadnock, blowing at 25-30mph and
throwing gusts to orchestrate the ballad of whistles and moans from the
towers. Clouds and mountains were arranged in shifting folds of sun and
shadow, changing every time you turned away. The temperature fell steadily
from close to 40F to freezing.

Raptor Observations:
Another day with just a few hardy Red-tailed Hawks surfing down the ridge.

Non-raptor Observations:
A flock of Red Crossbills flew overhead on the upper part of the auto road
on the hike up. The usual crowd of mountain residents and lingering
sparrows kept us company at the watch site.

Predictions:
One more breezy day to officially close out the season. I looks like it
should be mostly sunny with temps making a run at 30. The wind will
continue out of the west at 20-30mph, decreasing through the afternoon.
We'll see how many more we can count in the last 6 hours of the project for
2017!
Report submitted by Katrina Fenton (<gosknits...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320