Date: 11/15/17 1:21 pm
From: Mark Stevenson <drbrdr...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Jesse Owens Park in Tucson-Williamson's Sapsucker & Clay-colored Sparrow
Hi Birders,

Molly Pollock and I went to look for the unusual species this AM.

Shortly after exiting the vehicle we heard the first of two Red-breasted Nuthatches.
We twice encountered a small roaming flock of Red Crossbills.

Some other birders got us on the Williamson's Sapsucker in a pine in the SE corner of the park
(not the actual corner, rather 100 feet or so N of it). It was very quiet and non-prominent.

We saw about 7 Chipping Sparrows but no Clay-colored. The sparrows moved all around.

Intriguing was another sapsucker that had more red on it than a Red-naped would. Extra red
on the head and extra red down the breast. But it appeared that black extended below the red
on the breast patch, placing it toward but short of the the red-breasted end of the spectrum between
the two.

Molly saw a Belted Kingfisher fly by the dry park, but I missed it.

At Lakeside Park, the immature Snow Goose continues and male Bufflehead was present.

Good birding,
Mark Stevenson
Tucson, AZ

To: "AZNM" <AZNMbirds...>
Date: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 2:22 PM

Paul Suchanek
sends an update from Jesse Owens Park:
Brian Nicholas came by and we were able
to relocate the Clay-colored Sparrow.  It was feeding in
the same area on the west side of the park inside of the
loop road, although now it was feeding in an open grassy
area with a flock of Chipping Sparrows.  It has a small
feather sticking up from its back which can be a nice flag
to locate the bird in the sparrow flock.  We didn't try
for the sapsucker but did run into a small flock of Red
Crossbills.   (While waiting for Brian, I also found there
were 2 RB Nuthatches instead of 1).
Andrew Core
SEAZ RBA Compiler
- Tucson, AZhttp://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/southeast-arizona-rare-bird-alert/

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at
11:30 AM, Andrew Core wrote:
From
the Tucson Audubon Society's RBA (520-629-0510 X 3 or rarebirdalert AT tucsonaudubon.org):

Paul Suchanek reports a Williamson's
Sapsucker and Clay-colored Sparrow from Jesse Owens Park -
southeast of Broadway and Pantano: http://ebird.org/
ebird/hotspot/L639986