Date: 11/14/17 12:24 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Philomath Sewage Pond update: Shrike, Redhead, Cinnamon Teal, etc.
Checked the Philomath Sewage Ponds this morning under partly sunny skies
and with increasing wind from the south, which kept songbird activity down
a bit..

A drake CINNAMON TEAL in full cinnamon plumage continues on the S pond,
along with a pair of GADWALL, one male REDHEAD, and about 40 CANVASBACK.
Another GADWALL was on the C pond. No trace of the LONG-TAILED DUCK today,
and no goldeneyes, grebes, or gulls..

Good numbers of raptors, with at least 5 NORTHERN HARRIERS, 2 BALD EAGLES,
2 RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, 3 RED-TAILED HAWKS, one SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, and one
PEREGRINE FALCON. Earlier, Will Wright also saw a MERLIN out there.

As I was about to leave, the NORTHERN SHRIKE that's been hanging around the
ponds suddenly popped up on the dike along the S edge of the shooting range
and obligingly posed for photos.

For full list and photos (once eBird restores its media function :)), see:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S40505538

*Please remember: I you want to bird the sewage ponds, you need to pick up
an entry permit at the Philomath Public Works office at 1515 Willow Street
(off 15th) in Philomath, open Mon-Fri from 8 am to 4:30 pm.*

Good birding

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn