Date: 11/14/17 10:21 am
From: Dave Kruel <dkruel300...>
Subject: Re: OT: NY Corn Crake tragedy
It struck me a bit with the verbage “did foxes chase it into traffic ?” I don’t understand the point of putting this here. Is it meant to divert any hint of blame away from people who look for birds ? …sort of the tone in more of the text also

Anyhow……stepping back, the death of this bird is no more tragic than any other…….just that it happened to be a vagrant that strayed into ABA territory. I took a quick look at the status for corn crakes, and it seemed they have a stable population in at least some of their home range.

If birders are worried about bird populations, then one of the best things we can do is to push for a “how to live” “how should society work” in a manner so people can have good lives and that the various species around the globe can survive also. Some of the things that are tragedies for bird populations are housing, roads, hotels, strip malls, energy consumption, WAWA stores.

I’m sure resolving a template for how society to live with nature would not be easy nor quick, and would involve input from lots of folks with lots of backgrounds. Not that this topic would be solved in any one birder meeting; however it could a good topic on some level for annual birder meetings. Ie : What do we tell a person who is just making headway, but others feel that their house or their job is bad for birds, nature ?

Good birding,

Dave Kruel
Pottsville
Schuylkill County