Date: 11/14/17 10:04 am
From: Denis DeSilvis <avnacrs4birds...>
Subject: [Tweeters] "Red" Fox Sparrow +
Tweeters,
While scanning the many ground-feeding birds for an elusive Lincoln's Sparrow, I spotted a Red Fox Sparrow feeding in front of our "south" blackberry patch. This bird absolutely popped out from the usual Sooty types we have during the winter: reddish streaks on a gray background on the back (or is it gray streaks on a red background?); reddish overall markings; red streaks on the sides; etc.

This subspecies joins the White-throated, White-crowned, Song, "Sooty" Fox, Golden-crowned, and other emberizids we currently have here on the property.

One other bird I've seen feeding here is a Spotted Towhee that's quite differently marked from our usual type. This bird has many more bright white spots on the back, brighter white coloration, and rufous coloration that doesn't extend down the sides nearly as far as the typical Spotted Towhees we have here. Could be a Great Plains subspecies?

May all your birds be identified,
Denis DeSilvis

<avnacrs4birds...>

Sent from my Windows Phone