Date: 11/14/17 6:21 am
From: Holly Merker <0000002d9b0d8554-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: eBird is Down Today (unexpectedly)
Hi Everyone,

You should now be able to view the eBird homepage, but you will notice that the features of Macaulay Library are unavailable— which means you will not be able to upload photos or audio, or view rich media (photos/audio), yet.

You *should* be able to use the eBird Mobile app, with no glitches.

Hang in there, eBirders, Cornell’s IT department is working hard to restore all servers, and are in the midst of a reboot. It is possible that we may not have all the tools within eBird available until tomorrow. And, we may yet see a few more brief outages as the servers are being worked on.

More info can be found here: https://itservicealerts.hosting.cornell.edu/view/4982 <https://itservicealerts.hosting.cornell.edu/view/4982>

Good birding, and eBirding,

Holly Merker
eBird PA, State Coordinator
Chester Co., Pennsylvania

> On Nov 13, 2017, at 10:32 AM, Holly Merker <0000002d9b0d8554-dmarc-request...> wrote:
>
> PA Birders,
>
> If you are an eBirder, or trying to use the eBird database this morning, you quickly found out that the server is down.
> As noted by eBird Project Leader, Marshall Iliff, there’s no reason to worry about the safety of your eBird data!
>
> Here’s a note from Marshall sent to eBird reviewers, explaining the situation, and giving tips on how to use eBird Mobile App:
>
> "eBird has been down this morning (still true as of 10am EST) due to unexpected server issues on the Cornell University campus. There is no reason for alarm (all the data are safe) but if you are having trouble submitting or accessing Explore Data or the Review Tools, this is a known issues that multiple teams at the Lab and University are working on.
>
> Issues like this are incredibly rare and our team manages to keep eBird up and running something like 99.99% of the time. But as with all technology, issues sometimes arise and need to be fixed.
>
> If you are using eBird Mobile, you can wait to submit your lists until eBird is back up again. Use "offline checklist" to grab your new location and start a checklist if you are lucky enough to be out in the field this morning:
> http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/1880550-using-ebird-mobile-offline <http://help.ebird.org/customer/en/portal/articles/1880550-using-ebird-mobile-offline>
>
> Just wanted to make sure everyone knew what was going on. We'll post again here when things are back up and running.
>
> Best,
>
> Marshall Iliff
> eBird Project Leader”
>

> Good eBirding, all!