Date: 11/13/17 1:13 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden, Heritage Park, Beck Lake & Big Bend Lake Monday 11-13-17
Hello Bird People,

My plan was to go to the Palos Sloughs & wooded areas but there was
fog & freezing fog to the west so I postponed that plan to another
day. Instead I again looked for Crossbills & Redpolls at the Chicago
Botanic Garden & again found none. Only regular Winter birds present
today (with one exception) so consider this report one of those "of
local interest only" reports with nothing in it you'll want to chase
after.

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-10:50 a.m.)

No P.B.Grebes or Great Blues today but I did find a BLACK CROWNED
NIGHT HERON (1-IM)
Canada Goose (Total = 124 with almost all in the Northern Lake & B.Brown Pond)
Wood Duck (2-F & 1-PR)
Mallard (29)
Gadwall (1-M & 2-F)
Coot (1 remaining of last week's 7)
Ring Billed (14) & Herring (8) Gulls
Belted Kingfisher (1 continuing male)
Red Bellied (1) & Downy (2) Woodpeckers
Blue Jay (6), Chickadee (2) & R.B. Nuthatch (1)
Robins (6)
Tree Sparrow (8 in 1 group) & Junco (7)
PINE SISKIN (2 eating Birch seeds, 10 after Alder seeds & 8 eating
Hemlock seeds)
Goldfinch (~20)
House Sparrow (5-6)
(The B.Brown Preserve pond is mostly frozen but the Geese are breaking the ice.)

Heritage Park/Wheeling (11:40 a.m.-noon)

The only place here with any birds was the main pond but it was 2/3 frozen over.
Great Blue Heron (1), Canada Goose (245), Mallard (76) & Lesser Scaup (2-F)
Ring Billed (44) & Herring (2) Gulls

Beck Lake (12:20-12:35 p.m.)

Canada Goose (33), Mallard (1-PR), Shoveler (1-PR) & Ring Necked Duck (1-M)
Common Merganser (3-F, 1st of the Fall for this species for me)
Ring Billed Gull (48) & Blue Jay (heard 1)

Big Bend Lake (12:45-1:05 p.m.)

P.B. Grebe (2), Canada Goose (73) & Mallard (32)
Ring Billed (15) & Herring (1) Gulls
And I heard one Red Bellied Woodpecker

Bird-Of-The-Day to the only special bird found today which was the
young B.C. Night Heron.
Runners-Up to the Siskins & the loud (as usual) Kingfisher.

Old Business

On Saturday Bob Erickson & I joined the group going into the "permit
only" area at Illinois Beach South. Steve Bailey did the report on
IBET so I didn't do one, but
Bird-Of-The-Day went to the NORTHERN SHRIKE spotted by Bob along the
main park road on the way out & Runners-Up to the confusing Long
Tailed Duck in the lake, the Snow Buntings (8) on the beach & the big,
adult Bald Eagle flying over the South Swales.

Al Stokie
Doing local Cook County birding today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: