Date: 11/12/17 11:09 am
From: Brad Waggoner <wagtail24...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Friday and Saturday Neah Bay Highlights
Hi All,

Though the darn Zone-tailed Hawk didn't stick around until the end of
the week, there was plenty of very fine bird sightings in the Neah Bay
area to more than make up for the no-show hawk.

As Michael Hobbs previously reported on Friday, the SKYLARK and an
AMERICAN TREE SPARROW were being seen on that day until the late
afternoon. To my knowledge, both were not found yesterday.

On Friday, Ken Lane and Casey McHugh found a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH near
the car dump yard at the west end of town. Though I did not hear of any
reports of this bird from yesterday, it easily could be in the area
given the habitat and their tendency to stick around once noted in November.

WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS and goodly numbers of Red Crossbills were easily
noted in the Hobuck Beach area on both days frequenting the abundant
spruce cone crop. White-wings were also noted in very good numbers
further south in the Tsoo-Yess beach area. It seems quite clear that an
irruption event is in full swing so checking the spruce forests all
along our Washington coast would likely pay off. Common Redpolls were
also noted in the Neah Bay area though I was not able to stumble upon any.

A lone BOHEMIAN WAXWING, noted initially by Ryan Merrill near Butler's
Motel, flew around the town a bit before arriving back near Butler's
Motel a few moments later allowing a handful of birders to view it.

Penny Rose and her WOS field trip crew found a DICKCISSEL just north of
the entrance office building of the Hobuck Beach Campground area. It was
hanging around with a flock of Golden-crowned Sparrows and it was
observed by other birders later in the early afternoon.

Charlie Wright, Ryan Merrill and I were fortunate to witness a GYRFALCON
fly quite near us in the Tsoo-Yess Beach area during mid-morning. It
continued on south up the valley.

I think that catches the list of major highlights over the last two days
up in Neah Bay.

Cheers and good birding,

Brad Waggoner

Bainbridge Island