Date: 11/10/17 5:06 am
From: Hugh David Fleischmann <david...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Maryland Birders get their 2 minutes of fame.
I was told that you might not be unable to view the entire
article. Here it is, without pictures, for some reason, so I added
the picture that was used.

By Rachel Uda

Rare corncrake sighting on Long Island before bird found dead.

The bird, native to Europe and Asia, has not been seen in New York
State since 1963. Birdwatchers called it “a gift from the
birding gods.”

Dozens of bird watchers flocked to Long Island this week to catch
a glimpse of a rare bird that had veered thousands of miles off
course and onto the side of Ocean Parkway.

The lucky birders made it to the Cedar Beach location within what
turned out to be a short window — the bird was found dead just
days after it was spotted, apparently struck and killed by a
motorist.

The corncrake had been spotted Tuesday morning, according to Paul
Sweet, the ornithology collections manager at the American Museum
of Natural History in Manhattan.

The pale brown bird, which breeds in Europe and Asia and winters
in southern Africa, hasn’t been seen in New York state since
1963, according to Sweet.

He first heard about the sighting on bird-watching forums and went
out to see it Wednesday.

“It’s very rare to see this bird in North America,” Sweet
said.

Leslie Starr, 67, and David Fleischmann, 53, drove from Baltimore
Tuesday morning to see the corncrake. They parked their car,
crossed two lanes of traffic and stood on a median in the middle
of Ocean Parkway, gazing at the bird feeding in the brush.

“It was just a gift from the birding gods,” said Fleischmann,
of Baltimore. “As rare as it was, I had to see it.”

Starr said more than 100 birders had posted on a bird watching
forum that they had either seen the corncrake or were planning to
go to Cedar Beach.

“Once in a lifetime,” one Twitter user posted Wednesday along
with a picture of the bird.

Another user wrote: “True or False: there is a Corn Crake
currently showing on Long Island, NY.”

On Wednesday, a small crowd had gathered to see the bird and a New
York state trooper was called to disperse the cars that had parked
there, a State Police spokesman said.

About 6:30 a.m. Thursday, a birder found the corncrake dead on the
side of the road, according to Sweet. Both of the bird’s legs
and pelvis were broken and it appeared to have been hit by a
vehicle, Sweet said. The body is currently at the American Museum
of Natural History where it will become part of its research
collection.

Justin Bosler, another avid birder, had bought a plane ticket from
Austin, Texas, to see the

Rare bird.

“This was the first kind of this species this century, really,
that I could actually chase,” said Bosler, 32. “For me it was
a no brainer.”

Bosler had boarded the plane Thursday morning when he learned just
before the plane was about to taxi that the bird was found dead.
Bosler, dejected, got off the plane at the last minute.

“It’s pretty tragic,” he said.

By Rachel Uda

<rachel.uda...> @Rachel_Uda

Awesome Birding in 2017!
H. David Fleischmann <410-598-9292David...>
Sent from my iPhone
On Nov 9, 2017, at 10:14 PM, Hugh David Fleischmann <david...>
wrote:

This article just came out in a Long Island, NY site. As it
has a couple Maryland birders getting a couple minutes of
fame, I figured it would be ok to share here! Link below.
It unfortunately comes with a sad note of the bird getting
killed. Still, feeling fortunate and honored we got to
experience this beautiful creature before he met his untimely
demise.
https://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/corn-crake-dead-1.14872283
Awesome Birding in 2017!
H. David Fleischmann <410-598-9292David...>
Sent from my iPhone

Google Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit
this group on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly
locate it here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group
on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it
here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Join us on Facebook!