Date: 11/9/17 12:01 pm
From: Nicholas Komar <quetzal65...>
Subject: [cobirds] Jaeger sp. (Larimer)
This morning a dark juvenile Jaeger was resting on Timnath Reservoir. When it finally flew, it continued on its migration path heading south. It appeared similar in size and general appearance to the immature Parasitic that was at the same location several days ago. Differences included evident barring on flanks, white in the bases of the upper primaries, and a larger head relative to the body. I don’t know enough about immature jaeger identification to know if any of these rule out Parasitic. I originally thought that the larger head indicated Pomerine, but review of photos online also show small head for Pom. For now, this is a Pomarine/Parasitic Jaeger. Unfortunately, since it appeared to fly south, it’s identity may never be resolved. It was too distant for quality photos.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO