Date: 11/9/17 7:00 am
From: David Boltz via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Lots of Waterfowl & Spotted SP - Lake Frederick, Frederick Co.
Dave Carr sent me a message around 7:30 that the lake was teeming with Swans and lots of other good stuff. 8 species of ducks is phenomenal for this location. Horned Grebes are the first this season. And a very late Spotted SP was very unexpected. A nice flock of Bonaparte’s Gulls were straight out from the boat launch, but took flight while we were there.

I plan to check the lake again several more times today.

Lake Frederick
Nov 9, 2017
8:00 AM
Stationary
30 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.5.4 Build 149

122 Tundra Swan -- Very large flock spread out in several groups on the lake.
1 Northern Shoveler
4 Gadwall
2 American Wigeon
1 Mallard
4 Ring-necked Duck
16 Lesser Scaup
18 Bufflehead
6 Ruddy Duck
1 Pied-billed Grebe
8 Horned Grebe
1 Great Blue Heron
20 American Coot
1 Spotted Sandpiper -- In non-breeding plumage. Flew close to the water with quick flaps and glides. Perched on rocks at dam breast and pumped tail constantly.
50 Bonaparte's Gull -- Nice tight flock right in front of boat launch.
1 Belted Kingfisher

Number of Taxa: 16

Dave Boltz

Sent from my iPhone