Date: 11/9/17 2:53 am
From: Magnus Robb <magnus.robb...>
Subject: [nfc-l] Catharus thrushes in weird places
I like the idea of a detector for Catharus thrushes on Scilly! But there are two places perhaps better qualified than that. This year saw three records in Cork, southwest Ireland and just one on Scilly. But the ‘European’ capital for North American vagrants is now Corvo in the Azores (actually it’s on the North American side of the mid-Atlantic ridge!). Have a look at this list of what was found there this autumn.

http://birdingcorvo2013.blogspot.pt

Talking of Catharus thrushes in unexpected places, I’d be interested to know what North Americans make of this. I was surfing around on Xeno-canto the other day and I came across this mystery NFC recorded by Thomas Lüthi (CC) in his garden in Switzerland in September 2015. To me it sounds like a Swainson’s Thrush, and I can’t think of anything European that comes this close. How does it sound to people with real experience of this species? I only know the NFC of Swainson’s from recordings.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/386520

all the best,

Magnus Robb

> On 09 Nov 2017, at 00:08:26, Ted Floyd <tfloyd...> wrote:
>
> Sure looks (and sounds) like it to me. I think you can even rule out Bicknell's, haha.
>
> As you say, it is exciting. This brings up something I've been meaning to propose: Given how many Gray-cheeked and Swainson's thrushes are actually seen in Britain, it occurs to me that it might be cool to put up a detector on the Isles of Scilly pointing out toward the ocean. Especially near a light, if there is one. We all know the truism that you can hear more Gray-cheeks in an hour than you might see in a lifetime. If that applies to thrushes excitedly approaching the British Isles, imagine how many thrushes you might detect that way.
>
> Best, --Ted
>
> Ted Floyd
> Lafayette, Boulder County, Colorado
>
> ===================================
>
> Ted Floyd
> Editor, Birding magazine
> Managing Editor, North American Birds
>
> Website: http://aba.org/birding
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/BirdingMagazine
> The ABA Blog: http://blog.aba.org/
>
> On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Debbie Leick <dleick...> wrote:
> Hey folks,
> Could this be anything other than a Gray-cheeked Thrush? We get many Swainson's Thrush but this is so different. Recorded in Victor, MT, 9/14/17, ~5:45am. It would be a first for us since we began monitoring in 2012. Also, I could not find any records of GCTH west of the Montana continental divide in either eBird or the MT Natural Heritage Program database. So if it is, a very exciting record for us!
> Thanks in advance for any guidance!
> Debbie
>
> --
> Welcome and Basics