Date: 11/8/17 3:13 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, Illinois Beach South Unit, Hosah Park & North Point Marina Wed 11-8-17
Hello Bird People,

Waukegan Beach, Pier, Inlet & Park (7-8:15 a.m.)

Covered this place by myself at 1st & later with Annette McClellan,
Andy Stewart & Steve Mulhall.
On the pier were 85 Herring Gulls & 2 Mallards swimming along the
rocks. No Harlequins nor Purple Sandpipers yet. In the backwater inlet
were Canada Geese (13), Mallard (8) & Gadwall (13).
Only 1 Herring Gull on the beach, nothing else & saw almost no land
birds in the park.

Illinois Beach South Unit (8:45-10:45 a.m.)

Annette & Andy here too but Annette soon left. Andy & I walked all the
way to the river mouth where the large Redhead & Scaup flock
continues. Along the lake we saw the following:

RED THROATED LOON (1, good look at 1 swimming in the lake)
Horned Grebe (2)
Canada Goose (8)
Mallard (5)
Green Winged Teal (1)
Redheads (again about 500)
Greater & Lesser Scaup (Total = 150)
Ring Necked Duck (6)
LONG TAILED DUCK (1-F)
BLACK SCOTER (6-F in 1 group)
Buflehead (12)
Hooded Merganser (1-M)
Red Breasted Merganser (~50 flying back & forth)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (a few of each flying by)
On the actual beach were Crows (~30) & SNOW BUNTINGS (17)
Flying over the beach were Sandhill Crane (1) & Horned Lark (1)

Hosah Park (11:15-11:35 a.m.)

Annette sent a message to Andy saying she had found 2 Grebes that
seemed to large ones with yellow bills but later told Andy that she
could not re-find them. Andy & I arrived soon thereafter but Annette
was gone & although we found 3 groups of 2 Horned Grebes we found no
large Grebes.
Perhaps Annette got photos?

North Point Marina (from the south side only) (noon-1 p.m.)

Four more Horned Grebes in the lake & in the harbor itself the gang of
Herring Gulls is up to about 400 with only a few Ring Bills mixed in.
No ducks in the harbor but 100's of Red Breasted Mergansers were in
the lake along with more Gulls.

Bird-Of-The-Day for me goes to the Long Tailed Duck
& Runners-Up to the Red Throated Loon & the Black Scoters.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Delaware seen on the Tri-State on
the drive up.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>