Date: 11/8/17 1:56 pm
From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen...>
Subject: [obol] Wed morning, Fern Ridge
A little cold and a little rain at Fern Ridge maybe account for the short list, but we were also a little shy of the hunters. We looked for the Swamp Sparrow reported earlier at the Royal gate. There was a small sparrow flock feeding in the lane, but no Swamp. Out Royal, there was a perched, then hovering, Rough-legged Hawk (adult female I think). There was also a Black Red-tailed Hawk. We then moved to the Fisher Butte lane parking and walked around the south end of Fisher Butte. West of Fisher Butte there was a perched N. Shrike.
29 species

Canada Goose - 10
Ring-necked Pheasant - 1
Northern Harrier - 5
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
Red-tailed Hawk - 6 counting one driving back
Rough-legged Hawk - 1
Glaucous-winged Gull - 1 on the drive back
Mourning Dove - 2
Eurasian Collared Dove- 2 at Fisher feeders
Northern Flicker - 2
American Kestrel - 2 on drive back
Northern Shrike - 1
California Scrub-Jay - 4
American Crow - 2
Common Raven - 4
Black-capped Chickadee - 2
Marsh Wren - 3
Bewick's Wren - 1
American Robin - 10
European Starling - dense flock at Fisher feeders
Spotted Towhee - 10
Fox Sparrow - 1
Song Sparrow - 25
Lincoln's Sparrow - 5
White-crowned Sparrow - 3
Golden-crowned Sparrow - 10
Dark-eyed Junco - small number
Red-winged Blackbird - fewer than expected
Lesser Goldfinch - 1

Ellen Cantor, Judy Franzen, Scott McNeeley, Tom Cable, Steve Dignam, Cindy and Mark Armstrong, Jim Regali, Larry McQueen

Join us on Facebook!