Date: 11/7/17 2:51 pm
From: John Weeks via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] (Slightly) extra-limital report -- Golden Eagles in western Mass.
I observed two juvenile golden eagles going south together past my old hawkwatch site on Blueberry Hill, in Granville, Mass. They will likely pass through western Connecticut tomorrow or the next day. Eyes to the skies!

My eBird report is below.

John Weeks
North Granby

Blueberry Hill, Hampden, Massachusetts, US
Nov 7, 2017 8:45 AM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: A first for Blueberry Hill: two juvenile Golden Eagles, moving south together. The gray ghost (male Harrier) made it a trifecta. Observers: Dick Haas and John Weeks
23 species

Canada Goose 2
Common Merganser 5
Common Loon 1
Black Vulture 6 Seen well. In two groups, made up of two birds and four birds, respectively. We see BLVU here regularly.
Turkey Vulture 3 Seen well. These three seemed uninterested in going south; they loitered in the area.
Golden Eagle 2 Two juvenile Golden Eagles, flying together, and seen quite well. Tail pattern, white patches at base of primaries, small head, slight dihedral posture of wings (with upturned tips) -- all characters tally. The two moved southward slowly and circled several times, affording us many good views. GOEA are regular, though very uncommon, fall visitors to the site.
Northern Harrier 1 Flew directly overhead.
Sharp-shinned Hawk 5
Cooper's Hawk 4 Seen well. This appears to be the tail-end of the accipiter migration, a couple of weeks later than usual.
Bald Eagle 3
Red-shouldered Hawk 15 Seen well (through telescope). Other sites (notably Quaker Ridge in Greenwich, CT) are also reporting late flights with numerous birds.
Red-tailed Hawk 26
Barred Owl 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 4