Date: 11/5/17 6:25 pm
From: Sue Newland <newlandsue60...>
Subject: Re: Nuthatches
I have white-breasted nuthatches year round. So far i have seen one
red-breasted nuthatch but it did not stay around. A couple of days ago i
had one purple finch but have not seen it again yet.

Sue Newland, Wakarusa

On Nov 5, 2017 4:45 PM, "Tom SHANE" <tom.shane...> wrote:

I have been reading all the excitement from many posts about the ongoing
finch invasion, especially Crossbills of several types. Marie and Jamie
Osterbuhr had a Purple Finch here in Garden City on Friday, 3 Nov.

I have only read on ksbirds-l, about nuthatches several times. As of today
we are up to 3 Red-breasted and 2 White-breasted Nuthatches. The people in
eastern Kansas think I'm a little confused, but just check out the eastern
fourth of Kansas compared to the western end of KS on the WBNU, in (Busby
and Zimmerman. 2001. Kansas Breeding Bird Atlas). They are not common out
here, and we are excited when we get a pair that stay the winter.

Our first RBNU arrived on the 17th of AUG 2017 this year, and our first
WBNU was first observed in our yard on 17 OCT 2017.

Does anyone else have Nuthatches?

Good bird watching,
Tom Shane
Garden City