Date: 11/5/17 3:43 pm
From: HAROLD YOCUM <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: Hefner Surf Scoters
Hi Bill,
I went back out to Lake Hefner this afternoon and searched the entire lake edge rather well with no spotting of the scoters. There are many areas at the south end that are not accessible so I could have missed them. I DROVE the Dam with several stops so as to get reasonable views along the rocky edge also to no avail. Also I was concerned that i did not see ANY of the redhead duck groups. I was not looking for them and did not scan the center of the lake.
I wonder if they all moved on>
Also I did see : an osprey, a common loon and a large number of hooded mergansers on the ponds to the north of the dam. Counted 82 white pelicans. Ducks seen were: mallard, gadwall, shoveler, and ruddy ducks on the water. On the ponds to the north buffelheads and 2-3 A. widgeon. Those ponds also had yellowlegs, killdeer and many peeps.
Hal
> On November 3, 2017 at 5:54 PM William Diffin <okiebirder...> wrote:
>

> Photos of the Black Scoters and Surf Scoters can be seen in the
> following ebird checklists from Larry Mays and Zach Poland,

> If you subscribe to ebird and elect to get rare bird alerts, links to
> checklists containing rare birds will automatically be sent to your in
> box.
>
> On 11/3/17, William Diffin <okiebirder...> wrote:
> > Brian Marra texted that he just found the Surf Scoters with the Black
> > Scoters a little west of the northeast corner of the dam where the
> > water tower is located.
> >
> > On 11/3/17, Larry Mays <larrymays1949...> wrote:
> >> That's bcause both species are present.

Join us on Facebook!