Date: 11/5/17 12:55 pm
From: Lilly Logan <mslilly...>
Subject: [obol] Re: The Future of Bird ID
I introduced my 3 year old grandson to Merlin on my last trip to Nashville. He especially loved being able to play the calls. We were watching 15 wild turkeys in his front yard from the porch swing and the “gobble gobble” made a few heads raise and wander to find the source. Daily he kept watch on the yard for the turkeys to come eat all the bugs they want.....please.

Way more fun than Paw Patrol!
Lilly
Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 5, 2017, at 6:33 AM, David Lantz <lantz503...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the posting, I did try the Merlin ID program on a fairly obscure photograph and it did get it correctly. I was also surprised it got a dark morph Hawk so accurately. Very impressive.
>
> David
>

>> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017, 20:24 Noah Strycker <noah.strycker...> wrote:
>> Hi birders,
>>
>> David's query ("Bird ID please"), with links to three photos of a mystery raptor in California, inspired me to try a little test.
>>
>> Note: If you haven't downloaded Merlin, the bird ID app from Cornell, do it now! (I have no commercial interest in the app, and only recently tried it for the first time. It's free.)
>>
>> I clicked on David's first link, a photo of a brownish hawk in flight - one that would probably confuse a lot of birders. Then, using my phone, I took a snapshot of that picture as it was displayed on my computer monitor (a horribly pixillated way to transfer the image to my phone, but fast).
>>
>> I opened the Merlin app on my phone, tapped "Photo ID," selected that picture, chose "I don't know" when it asked the location and date, and... it told me it was a Swainson's Hawk. I tried it with the second image, and Merlin again guessed that the bird was a Swainson's Hawk. (Which it is.) The whole process took less than a minute.
>>
>> That's pretty radical! Merlin will now identify any species of North American bird (including Mexico) with a click, and it's amazingly accurate. I tried it on fall warblers, sparrows, and juvenile shorebirds, and Merlin got them all right. Then I gave it photos of Black-capped and Carolina chickadees, with no hints about location, and it nailed those, too. It correctly identified a bird painting on my wall, and told me that the Oregon Birding Association's logo depicts a Hermit Warbler. It's not infallible - I was finally able to stump it with a picture of a stuffed Labrador Duck (not in the database, apparently!).
>>
>> Who knows? Maybe the next generation of birding optics will have these algorithms built in. The technology is already here. Once you download the app, it works offline, too.
>>
>> http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/
>>
>> Good birding,
>>
>> Noah
>>

>>> On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Karl Schneck <keschneckdds...> wrote:
>>> Swainson's Hawk
>>>
>>> Karl Schneck
>>>
>>> "As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but nature's sources never fail." John Muir

Join us on Facebook!