Date: 11/3/17 10:11 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Raccoon Ridge (26 Oct 2017) 284 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 3 28 55

Total: 284 1254 8422

Observation start time: 08:45:00
Observation end time: 17:30:00
Total observation time: 8.75 hours

Official Counter: Jim Thomson

Observers: Brian Butler, Phil Rodriguez, Scott Wood, Tom Bailey

Visitors:
Al Ambler, Aaron Tidridge, Denise Thomson, Lindsay Chirico.
Hikers - 18. Plus A.T. SOBO "Atlas"--good luck the rest of the way!!

Many, many thanks to ALL of the observers and visitors who really worked
the skies today!! Was a real team effort with birds scattered high and low,
near and far!

Bird of the Day was a very difficult choice...some wanted the two Goldens
that "wowed" us! Some wanted the entire count of Cooper's Hawks that put
on a show all day long!

But...the winner is the adult Peregrine that cruised down the ridge...and
spotted , chased, and stooped on a lone blackbird that was frantically
trying to dive down into some tree cover! All of us were glued to the
chase scene unfolding in front of us! Somehow the blackbird pulled off the
"Great Escape" as the Peregrine gained elevation after the stoop with empty
talons (almost earning the blackbird the coveted Bird of the Day!!)

Wonderful day on the ridge with raptors in the air from start to finish!

(A big 'thank you' Jim Thomson for this detailed report--this is the kind
of hawking we all look forward to experiencing...just wish I had been
there! BH)

Weather:
mostly cloudy, wind NW 8-17, temp 46-53 deg F.

Raptor Observations:
BE - 9:37I, 10:40A, 12:02I, 12:04I, 12:14I, 12:21I, 1:48(2I), 1:51(2I),
2:06I, 2:16A, 2:20A, 2:23A, 2:26A, 3:32I, 4:06I, 4:45A.

GE - 11:17I, 2:38I, 2:53I, 3:05I, 3:40I, 4:12I.

PG - 9:03I, 4:51(2A), 5:18(2I).

Non-raptor Observations:
TVs.
Brant.
Canada Geese.
Common Loon.
Winter Wren.
Cedar Waxwings.
Red-bellied Woodpecker.
American Robins.
Herring Gull.
Ravens - 8.
Monarchs - 3.
Report submitted by Brian Hardiman (<hardimanbrian...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=339

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi