Date: 11/1/17 11:27 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Newport beach bird
Yeah, I agree. Notice the 'check marks' (my word) on the Barred owl, not
present on the Great-horned.
Also, the dark bands are wider on the Barred and the white bands wider on
the Great Horned, although the Barred in the middle is intermediate.
(which leads one to wonder how variable this all is)
Wing linings are barred dark on GH but overall light on Barred (maybe the
best mark), but unfortunately hard to see on the beached bird.
Bob OBrien

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 5:45 PM, David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:

> These primary feathers are a perfect match for Barred and lack the broad
> buffy bars that would be shown by a a Short-eared Owl.
>
> Moisture and age could be factors in the primary tips looking more
> attenuated.
>
> Dave Irons
> Beaverton, OR
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Nov 1, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
> Whereas Barred has more rounded primary tips.(?)
> https://photos.smugmug.com/Animals/BIRDS/OWLS/i-hnfFJpS/0/fd63f820/L/
> BAOWFlyingDown164291-L.jpg
> Bob Obrien
>

> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>
>> I've also seen SE Owls miles offshore, and I don't think they are
>> 'lost'. One time one came
>> into the birding boat's wake as if interested in what was going on. Then
>> it continued South.
>> GH owl seems right.
>> See https://visitbigskymt.com/wp-content/uploads/great-horned-ow
>> l-pixabay.jpg
>> Bob OBrien
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 4:27 PM, Isaac Denzer <bartailedgodwit...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not a SE Owl, look at the wing pattern. To me it looks like a
>>> Barred to me. Or, it could possibly a GH, but the wing stripes generally
>>> aren't so prominent or dark on them, so I really doubt it is one.
>>>
>>> Isaac Denzer
>>>

>>> On 11/1/2017 5:14 PM, Jeff Gilligan wrote:
>>>
>>> Short-eared Owl? I have seen them far at sea from cruise ships.
>>>
>>> Jeff Gilligan
>>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2017, at 3:54 PM, Russ Namitz <namitzr...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not something you find in the beach everyday......
>>> <image1.JPG>
>>>
>>> Russ Namitz
>>> Newport
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone